Sunday, June 28, 2009

Pizza=Productivity

Today I had something very similar to a strange realization happen to me. Today in Relief Society, one of the leaders got up and made an announcement about Home and Visiting Teaching, and the importance of it. Granted. That's some pretty powerful stuff right there. She then proceeded to tell us that if we were really good, and got it all done, we could have a pizza party. That took me back to third grade; remember when you were positively reinforced with pizza to do all of your fundraising, and sell the most wrapping paper and cookie dough? Or in 7th grade Choir class, when you got a pizza party for completing your concert without any serious mishaps? Or when you were a senior, and your biology class beat Mr. Kimmell's Honor's biology class in properly labeled lab reports? How did you celebrate? With a pizza party. What is it about Americans, or maybe just humans in general, where they think that in order to make people more productive they have to offer them a pizza party. In my short life, I cannot even tell you the number of frivolous pizza parties that were waved in my face in order to increase productivity. So this poses and problem. I don't know weather to feel like offended for being treated as a child, or feel offended that society has shaped us in such a way that we only perform well when such nonsensical things as pizza are on the line. I mean really? A pizza party equals a cup of warm root beer or orange soda, and maybe two slices of pizza if you're lucky. And all you are left with is a nasty greasy napkin, and the memory of selling that wrapping paper. Really? How does that increase productivity?? Such were the thoughts running through my mind during the announcement section of Relief Society. But really? Why do we have pizza parties for everything? Please consider this the next time you are feeling the slightest bit pensive. Thank you, and goodnight. 

1 comment:

Hannah said...

See, now to me, I think it degrades both the RS and the program of VT as well as the participants. It says, "I don't think that these people are capable of performing well in their own stewardship. I don't trust them to perform. I, therefore, have to come up with a way to entice them to perform the way I want them to. Hmmm... Pizza? Anyone?" It also says, "Well, VT is about as important as spending $50 on pizza. I know that if I just wave something cheap in front of the participant's faces that they will do it. VT isn't THAT big of a deal. So I will not have a big prize."
When did the prize for VT go all the way down to Pizza? What about the good feeling you feel? Or what about just that God asked? In fact, does that mean that we offer a missionary a pizza party when he gets home from the mission? I mean, God asked him to serve and it was a hard thing to do. So if we want him to do it, then wave pizza in front of him...
NO!! We don't!!! Why? Because THAT seems dumb. But not for home and visiting teaching.
See, we are doing this whole thing to promote the program when what we are really doing is saying that the program is as important as a box of pizza. How does that teach importance to people? Or sincerity? Or vitality?
I am not done soap boxing. But I am done posting.