Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Intropsection

So I had to laugh a little bit this morning. And here is why: yesterday I was reminded of what I where I was this time last year. And Holy St. Francis. Do you realize how much can happen in a year? A whole lot. I was reflecting on all of it, and I couldn't believe all of the life lessons that have happened since last June, and how much I have learned. This morning I pulled out my trusty old journal and flipped back to June of last year. And it made me chuckle a little bit. I had a flashback to the anti-social part of my life when I was a little bit more awkward. Yeah- it wasn't a pretty time. As I was reading over my slightly pathetic entries it was a great moment of introspection. I was the definition of a square. Okay, so that may be an exaggeration, but still- I have changed so much. And isn't it such a blessing that we are continually progressing in this life? Good thing my 25-year-old self will be so much more awesome than my 21-year-old self; and my 30-year-old self will be better than my 25-year-old self. Good thing I have the potential for awesomeness. Good thing we all do.

Then I thought about all of the events that have happened in the past year. Some of them were pretty sweet. Living in Orlando for 8 months equals sweet. My friends from last Fall semester, also sweet. That whole broken heart thing... not so sweet. The whole trying to figure out what to do with your life thing... not so sweet. But you know what? I learned so much from everything, and I have become so much stronger because of it. Awesome sauce!

And then I thought again about change, and how really it's the only thing in our lives that we can depend on. And you know, I think I like that. I like the fact that things are always changing. Changing light bulbs; changing clothes; changing jobs; changing seasons; changing friends; changing styles; changing love interests; changing addresses; changing majors; changing scenery; changing your mind. Good thing we have this beautiful thing called agency that allows us to make all of these changes to our lives. I went through a period of my life where I was convinced that people couldn't change. But then I did a little more of that introspection thing, and realized how much I have changed. And it changed my mind.

So thank goodness for those moments in life that allow you to look back. Thank goodness for those moments that allow you to change. Thank goodness for those moments that help you grow. And thank you, and goodnight.

No comments: