Monday, June 8, 2009

Awkward Sweater

So sometimes I feel like a little bit of a square. And it's totally fine. But really- I'm kind of a really awkward person. Yet with most things, I think that awkwardness is a choice. Sometimes it just has to happen. Awkwardness is like that nasty lumpy sweater in the back of your closet that you refuse to wear unless it's an extreme emergency. You know the one; the sweater that looks like your grandma's knitting needles blew up. Yeah that one. Yet sometimes, you have to put it on. You have to wear the awkward sweater. And you know that it's going to be hot, and uncomfortable. It's itchy and scratchy, and it smells a little bit like corn chips. But it must be done. Why am I triggering all of these memories for you, dear readers? Because yesterday I wore the awkward sweater. I got off the phone with a friend of mine, and felt super weird. It was kind of a weird conversation, and I felt like a total square. But it's fine. Insert awkward sweater here. All of the sudden, life seemed to become more awkward; or perhaps I just became far more conscious of all of it. After inserting that wretched sweater into my life I went to Break the Fast. While waiting to be picked up, I ended up having one of the most awkward conversations of my life with this nice boy from my ward. Bless his heart. It was the kind of conversation where half way through I found myself saying things like, "No...my family is doing fine financially..." While my brain was thinking things like, "What the St. Francis?! Who asks that??" We discussed a realm of different topics. Such as my parents, and how they are divorced. I don't even know how that came up- but we talked about it. Quite awkwardly too I'll admit. Then I found myself explaining about my parents and how they are now both remarried, and going into more detail than I felt necessary to a total stranger. All the while having the similar thoughts of "What the St. Francis?!?!?!?!" running through my mind. We then proceeded on to my family's fiances, and how they are doing in these difficult economic times. This is when my awkward sweater began to suffocate me, and I stopped and thought about everything that had just happened. It was at this point in the conversation that I had to fight back the urge to fall over laughing. It was so amazing, and I had forgotten how much I secretly love my awkward sweater. No other article of clothing gives me so many awesome stories to tell. But that sweater was not ready to come off yet. There was more awkwardness to come. I found myself trying to generate conversations with people, but they all ended with me muttering and mumbling to myself awkwardly with a befuddled look on my face. What the heck face? I'm intelligent. I'm competent. Why can't I speak? It's the sweater, folks. It's all the sweater. Later at Break the Fast my peeps totally ditched me, and I was left all alone at a table with Jeff the Wizard and his magical card tricks. That too was slightly awkward. But I am not going to lie; I laughed out loud. Thrice. I heart my awkward sweater and all of the moments it gives me. You know those special moments where your shoulders scrunch up, and your faces goes into a grimace because guess what? Things just got awkward. And it's then that you realize how much you secretly rock and you take off that awkward sweater, and put it back in your closet for next time. So until next time, dear readers, thank you, and goodnight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I kinda love your awkward sweater...

Hannah said...

You are SO funny. Just so you know, you aren't awkward at all. And Aaron thinks you are HILARIOUS!!! So it was all for a good cause.

Mary said...

Um, are you talking about a real sweater? Or is this a metaphore? I wear my awkward sweater on a regular basis. You know the one. I'm severely confused right now.

Emmilie said...

Metaphor. Total and complete metaphor. However, I love your literal awkward sweater too. But only when you wear it on Halloween. And at the mall.