Friday, November 28, 2008

Dishwasher, My Lovely Dishwasher, I Cried for YOU!!

Stop. Right Now. And look at your dishwasher. Yes, that lovely little appliance that is so easily taken for granted. Now, with me, I want you to say, "Thank you." Yes, say it out loud. Why this seemingly ridiculous routine? Well dear readers, I am here to tell you about how the other half lives. Yes, there is a group of terribly unlucky people who have no dishwashers to speak of. And my heart weeps for them a little every day, as should yours.

Let's start at the beginning, a place that Julie Andrews believes is a very good place to start. So in the tradition of Ms. Andrews, I would like to take you with me to apartment 203, in a nice little apartment complex called Kensington Manor, and yes it does sound better if pronounced with a British accent. Apartment 203 is a nice place. It has many redeeming qualities, however, when I moved in there this past summer, the dishwasher was not one of them. Occasionally, it would leak, and that was just no good. But of course, being the slightly lazy students that we were, we just tried to live with it rather than take matters into our own hands. (This lazy attitude came into play only after the repairman supposedly fixed it, but amazingly, water still leaked...very strange.) So the Summer tenants carried on, and lived with the wretched leak.

Fall was a different story. The fall tenants would have none of that nonsense, thank you very much. And many a request was sent in to the new manager. After a series of unfortunate events, the final of which includes our kitchen being flooded, we decided to just stop using our dishwasher completely. And that was the worst day of my life...almost. For about three weeks we lived without a dishwasher, and let me tell you, I may or may not have wanted to cry myself to sleep. Luckily our manager ordered a new one for us, and all that we had to do was wait patiently for one. That whole "patiently" thing did not work out so well... But whatever. Sadly, our dishes began to pile up, and pile up, because let's face it, who really wants to do that many freakin' dishes by hand??? But then one day, it just became too much. So I spent three hours doing the dishes, which is awesome and all, but I had my fun, thanks, and never wish to do that again. EVER.
But then, something wonderful happened. I was sitting in my Psychology class generating more and more feeling of animosity towards Eysenck and his crap theories, when an unfamiliar numbers calls my phone and leaves a message. (Luckily my phone was on silent...we had already had THAT adventure in that class) This is always exciting when this happens. Maybe it was an attractive man that wanted to talk to me. Today, it was my manager, telling me that our dishwasher was coming tomorrow. There was much rejoicing in the land.


This is where the dirty deed happened. (No pun intended...) And as you can see, our dishes took a heavy toll. I promise we are never that messy, only when our dishwasher is well, crap. Or in this case, gone.


But low and behold!!! A joyous gift!! Our lives were saved that fateful day. I don't think I have ever seen six girls happier about a new appliance before in my life. It was a beautiful thing to behold.


And that's not just any dishwasher... It's MY dishwasher. Kinsey and I had a few moments of great rejoicing. Oh, happiness in a cardboard box, delivered right to our living room.

This is one for the scrapbook of my life. Happiness in 3-D. Indeed.



This was the alternative dishwasher, along with all of my other roommates... It's art? Yeah, I've got nothing.

This is pure, unabashed joy and affection. For life in general and of course, for dishwashers everywhere.
So now we have joy in Apartment 203 again, along with clean dishes. You heard it all. You know of the suffering, the heartache, the anticipation, and the joy when that new dishwasher enters your life. So count your blessings. Be grateful. And now, after hearing this tale, I have only one question left for you dear readers: Have you hugged your dishwasher today? Thank you, and goodnight.

No comments: