Saturday, November 15, 2008

Awkward Emmilie

I wonder why I am such an awkward person... It's kind of annoying, and well, awkward. My life seems to be defined by these awkward moments... And that's just splendid. And not just my awkward moments, I seem to just attract awkward moments, because things around my turn into sheer awkwardness also. Let's examine this, shall we?

So, yesterday I was at the library trying to kill some time before Kinsey's concert. I was on the computer, as was this boy sitting next to me. He looked like he often spent his Friday nights at the library, but he was certainly content with that. Well, there I was minding my own business, and looking at books for my Psych class, when suddenly, I hear this really bizarre sound. As the strange sound continues, it becomes slightly more discernible, and the low moaning turns into The Christmas Shoe Song. I looked over at the boy in incredulous disbelief. Alas, he was singing the Christmas Shoe song with surprising gusto. He just kept going with unabashed shame; he was singing about those shoes with every ounce of his being. And at a time like this, all I could do was laugh. A lot. It was rather enjoyable too, because the other two girls in nearby me looked at the awkward musical boy, and then at me. I gave her what was undoubtedly an awkward face, because that is what I do.... and then we shared a nice little laugh together as the song continued to be sung. It was by far, one of my favorite trips to the library.

Another awkward chapter in my life was in the Hinckley Building. All of these people were walking by, saying "Hi!" So I got in a mood to say hi to people. However, the flock of people had already passed and my only option left was a guy sitting on the end of the bench that I was sitting at. So I waved at him and said hi, thinking that as a normal person, he would return the gesture, and say Hi back to me. Instead, he smiled, didn't say anything, and turned his head away, resulting in one of the most awkward moments of the day. What does one say in a situation like that?! Luckily I was with Kinsey, and we could both bask in the awkward moment, and laugh. However, she was quick to inform me that he was really attractive, and how unfortunate it was that I was so awkward. Sadly, this man is in my ward, and every time I see him, my awkward reflexes kick in. It's awesome.

Indeed, awkward moments define my life. And it has become sort of a defining aspect of my life. How awkward can Emmilie be today? Let's find out!! Even my conversations are awkward... It's great. So I have decided that the man who marries me has to have a great deal of patience for awkwardness. Thank you, and goodnight.

No comments: