Monday, December 8, 2008

2 Inches of Death

Yep. It's that time of year again. The time where inexplicably, your jeans are wet up to your mid-thigh. It's that lovely time of year where your face is attacked by wretched gusts as you walk up to the Ricks, on that little path that always seems to have a wind-speed 15 miles faster than everywhere else. It's that time of the year where your joints ache, and your heart gets sad because you haven't seen the blasted sun is forever. It's that time of year where Broulim's runs out of Hot Chocolate, and Emmilie gains 17 pounds from drinking so much of it. It's that time of year where you walk out of your door and are blinded by something terribly bright, and your heart leaps, yet comes crashing down to find out that it is just a bunch of white crap, and the sun is still hiding. It's the time of year where soup and casseroles start to sound good because you associate them with getting warmed up. It's winter time. And my heart weeps, because guess what? I live in Rexburg. woot.

Yet this winter is an interesting story that is indeed worth blogging: Once upon a time, BYU-Idaho was building a new auditorium. President Clark asked the faculty to pray that the weather would stay nice so that the nice men who build things can get to the point that they needed to for the winter. I think it had something to do with walls... as a contractor. Indeed, they prayed, and indeed the weather was beautiful for Rexburg in early December. As in no snow. Even though those weather men have been persistent in forecasting snow, there was none to be had. Until last night.

I was sitting in my bed, reading on how to communicate with people, when all of the sudden there was a large, and surprisingly cold gust of wind, followed by my shiver and slight groan, then an exstatic, and slightly hysterical voice screaming, "It's snowing!!!!!" My heart stopped just a little, and trying to convince myself that it stopped out of incomprehensible joy, I peak out of my blinds. Indeed, my fanatical roommate had spoken the truth. It was starting to snow. And my life got a little more depressing. But I decided to try and make it a happy thing, and be almost as excited as all of the other crazy, screaming people in my complex. But I decided to start tomorrow. After a hot shower, I went to bed trying to ignore the swishing sound of the wind outside my window.

The morning came, and so did the mourning. I peaked out of my blinds, and to my immense horror, everything was a blanket of white. Crap. A two-inch-thick blanket. Crap. My heart broke a little this morning, and the only thing that was going thorough my mind was that I had to walk to class in it. Crap. With this realization came the memories of previous snowstorms flooding through my mind. They were not pleasant things. Yet I still had to go to Mission Prep. Crap. So I bundled up, and braved the ice box that is the Burg of Rex. It really wasn't so bad, except for the fact that my pants are wet up to my thighs, and my nose is still defrosting. And my heart aches for sunlight. Other than that...

I think I hate snow. As terribly sad as I am about leaving my amazing roommates, I have no reservations whatsoever about leaving this freezing cold tundra for Orlando. Florida in all of it's sun shining glory. And guess what, I only have a few days left until I'm back in Arizona!! I can totally make it...um...maybe. As for now, I'm stuck in the two inches of death outside of my door. Pray. Hard. Thank you, and goodnight.

1 comment:

Gardner Buchanan said...

January 5th, January 5th, January 5th, January 5th.