Thursday, December 4, 2008

Drum Roll...

So I love Kinsey. She told me to say that.

The point of today, is to share some really exciting news! Drum roll please. I had to write a Representative Profile for my COMM 111 class. It was a really good project, but it was really hard, and slightly extremely stressful. I wrote about a family from Rexburg who has two children with Autism. It is an amazing family, and the spirit in their home was so strong. So I spent time making observations of the family for about an hour every week, and did a bunch of interviews. It was so cool!

Then came the daunting task of actually writing it and putting it all together. I was really nervous, but I just kept praying, and occasionally taking a swig of caffeine... that seemed to work out pretty well. So 13 pages later, I turned it in. It was a relief and a half. Then came the day where we get our papers back... that was scary. At the beginning of class my professor kept talking about how there are good writers and bad writers in our class. I started freaking out, and figuring out all the ways that I added up to a bad writer. Then he handed my paper back. With trembling hands, and a slightly accelerated heart-rate, I flip to the back page, praying that it was a decent grade. My eyes bulge a little as I read 400/400. My heart stops a little, and a huge grin spreads across my face. It was a good moment in time. Then I quickly scan across the comments, my eyes lingering on one line: "This should be published." I'm pretty sure I had the strong desire to turn the atrium of the Spori Building into a stage, because I was about to burst into song and dance. It was freaking amazing!!! I was basically ecstatic. Amen.

So, I'm going to see if I can pull a string or two, and see if I can get published!! How sweet would that be?! To be published as an undergrad?!?!?! Freakin' sweet! So that was the good news of my week. Thank you, and goodnight.

3 comments:

marneyd said...

Emmilie, do NOT pass go, do not hesitate in any way. GET IT PUBLISHED. Getting an article published before I went job hunting and passing our copies with my resume was the single most significant thing I did in getting gainfully employed. It's like employer catnip. They LUV it!

marneyd said...

Also, get me a copy so I can read it, pleeeeeeeze!?!

Gardner Buchanan said...

Em,
It was terrific. You are an amazing person to see such love in their home. I am very proud of you.
Dad