Monday, December 15, 2008

Shuttle of Death

Confessions of Emmilie Buchanan take 122,853,938,271,639,307,182…ish:

So nothing in this known world scares me more than bad weather. Tornadoes? Check. Earthquakes? Check. Floods? Check. Fires? Check. Thunderstorms? CHECK CHECK CHECK!!!!! I hate bad weather!!! Just had to get that off my chest… It just really stresses me out, and may or may not make me think that the world is coming to an end right at that very moment, and my life is just minutes away from ending. It’s not a good scene. No bueno. And guess what? Blizzards fall into the category of bad weather. And guess what else? I live in Rexburg. Oh, and also guess what… It’s WINTER TIME!!!! That equals lots of blizzards in the Burg of Rex. That’s fine. The farmers need the moisture and all the rest of that crap, but I would really appreciate it if it could happen after I vacate the premises… Well… in true Emmilie fashion, no such luck.

On Saturday night, around…late… it started to snow. And there was much rejoicing had by all who are not me. However, that little bit of snow progressed into an intense storm. That was fun. But my heart was at ease. Classes were done, and all of my crap was inside the storage unit where it belonged. Thank goodness. But, the snow did this thing called “keep snowing.” It snowed all night long, naturally resolving in a few inches that greeted me in the morning. Oh, and it had also turned into a raging blizzard by 8:00 when I got up to finish my white glove. Oh, and the power was out. That was a nice little panic attack- especially because I had a date at noon that I had to look smokin’ hot for… so power was slightly necessary. I suppose it was also necessary because I had to vaccum my floor in order to pass clean checks… But you know, priorities. It’s fine. So after a slight moment of no breathing and panic, I stopped looking out at the swirling white abyss outside of my window, and called my mom. That’s my rule. When things are going to crap, you call mom. Without fail. So I told her the concerns of my heart. These concerns included getting stuck in a snowstorm on the way to the airport and dying. You know me, always putting people at ease. She went over the necessary precautions that I should take, but I was still freaking out. I was so worried that I would not make it to the airport on time. I did in fact switch my shuttle from 6:30 to 5:00…AM!!! My flight doesn’t leave until 2:45…so that was slightly early…but whatev. I really needed to not have to worry about missing the plane. That would have been blog worthy indeed. So upon realizing that I had to be at the Hart Building at 4:45 in the morning, my heart began to panic again. I had not really slept the night before, so I was dead tired, and panic gripped my worry prone heart. I was so afraid that I was going to sleep through my alarm, and then miss the dreaded shuttle. It was what you would call an internal conflict. More or less… So my amazing roommate Marie, who agreed to drive me at the ungodly hour decided with me to pull and all nnighter!!! In retrospect… that was kind of dumb. Because as of right now at 12:49 PM, I have not slept in over 28 hours. Cool huh? But that’s besides the point. Just some fun trivia for you, dear readers.

4:45 came after 5 movies, and the personal vow to never watch Dumb and Dumber ever again in my life; so help me, so help me. Marie and I carried my 100 pounds of crap to her truck. For those of you who have never been in Rexburg in December at 4:45 in the morning… I don’t reccommed it. It’s a little nippy. Okay, so more like a lot; and it’s especially fun when you get to scrape snow out of the bed of a truck. That’s always pure awesomeness. But hey, it was 8 million times better than walking to the opposite side of campus. So I count my blessings. As should you. Just as our bodies started to feel the heat of her truck, the shuttle came. “Oh good,” I thought. “It will be nice and warm in there!” Yet in true Emmilie fasion, no such luck...

I got on the shuttle, and noticed the intense…chill. It was freezing. The kind of cold where you can’t move, and can barely even breathe. OH MY WHAT FUN!!! There was no heat on that shuttle for three hours. It was so cold I was seriously almost in tears. I couldn’t do anything. It was too cold to even sleep. Note to self: Don’t ever repeat that. It was so cold that there was ice on the INSIDES of the windows. I thought I was going to die. Luckily, after a few prayers, I was able to sleep a little bit, and woke up to a little more heat. That was the biggest blessing ever! Needless to say, when the passengers got off the shuttle, we were all still a little frozen. It took about an hour to warm back up from that fateful little ride. Oh dear. How I hate Rexburg weather with all my heart, soul, and spleen.

So I got to the airport 4 ½ hours early… so I’m just hanging out. But it’s cool, because I find the airport to be a fascinating place. All is well…except for the sudden burst of air conditioning. That’s always fun. Orlando, Orlando, Orlando, Orlando, Orlando…. Thank you, and goodnight.

DISCLAIMER: Um…sorry if this blog is kind of…shall we say, spastic? Remember the whole sleep thing, and how I have been operating without it for 29 hours now? Don’t judge harshly. Amen.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

oh man...i HATE snow...it took me about 4 hours to get from rexburg to pocatello on a sheet of ice. Luckily in pocatello we got snow tires which made life a bit easier...but still...I HATE SNOW! I do like dumb and dumber though...haha

marneyd said...

It's clear the shuttle is a rich source of blog material. How disappointing if your ride was uneventful. Any freezing Japanese on this trip?