Sunday, March 22, 2009

Nonsense

I have a soft spot in my heart for nonsense. Whenever I encounter it, (which happens a lot to be honest...) it sticks with me for the rest of the day, and makes me smile. I especially love people who are full of nonsense. Because I secretly admire them. Why you may ask? Because they are so happy and blissful in their nonsense. They just don't care. It's awesome. 

Perhaps my favorite form of nonsense is in conversations. I love conversations that go like this.

Nonsensical boy: Are you going to church on Sunday? 
Emmilie: Yes! I don't have to work, so I will be there. Are you going?
Nonsensical boy: Well, I was going to but I can't. I can't go to church on Sunday because I have to work on Tuesday. 

What?! Now I'm sure that in the inner workings of his mind, this made perfect sense. I'm sure that if I really pressed the issue, I would find that he tried to switch a shift for Tuesday, but had to work himself on Tuesday, therefore making it impossible to get work off on Sunday. But I love moments in life like this. Moments where all you are left to do is wonder what in the St. Francis they meant, sitting there totally befuddled with an awkward expression on your face. 

Another favorite form on nonsense are charlie horses. I get them about three to four times a day. Without fail. And it never ceases to entertain me. Mostly because they happen at highly inopportune times. Such as rehearsal; making me fall over. Or in the middle of an audition; allowing me to add just a little more passion into my dramatic monologue. Or during a prayer; making me almost squeal in pain and drown out the outpouring of thanks for the moisture we have been receiving. 

Also, I really like Tuesdays on campus at BYU-I. Devotional is lovely, and I am always uplifted by it, but secretly, I really like that half of our student body is wearing suits. I think that those fine young men are highly attractive in their suits, and I look forward to it. Call me shallow; it's just one of my favorite forms of nonsense. 

Thank you, and goodnight. 

1 comment:

Mary said...

Speaking of nonsense, I just wanted to let you know that I read your really long blogs, just like I promised I would. They are delightful and I find my self laughing out loud to the confusion of the people around me. Its excellent. Thank YOU, and goodnight.