Monday, August 31, 2009

Epidemic

Okay, I don't know what is going on but there has definitely been an increase in weddings. I don't understand it... but apparently the industry is booming. Maybe the "in" thing to do now is to get hitched. I can't lie though. Lately I've been slightly against the whole concept of marriage. Oh, don't get me wrong. I have a testimony of it, and I think that it's a great thing... it's just a personal thing. I couldn't see myself getting married any time soon. Men just seem to irritate me lately. "Rough hairy beasts!! With eight hands! And they all just want one thing from a girl..." hahaha, thank you Jack Lemon. (Someone name the movie, please...) It's fine. Anyways, lately every time I get on facebook I see in my little right-hand column of news-feeds that someone else has taken the plunge and gotten engaged... or hitched. It's getting a little out of hand. Perhaps we should do an intervention. Because I was highly curious, and because I'm kind of a square, I counted all of my friends on facebook who have gotten engaged or hitched in the past 9 months. 67 people. That's a little ridiculous. There seems to be an epidemic of infatuation, which is leading to an outbreak of wedding. No bueno. 

I honestly don't know where this sudden outburst of anti-matrimony came from, but it's surprisingly passionate. For the record, I do want to get married someday, but someday eight years from now. I'm discovering more and more these days how much of a fear I possess for the future, and for commitment. Kind of a set back when contemplating marriage... or missions... or phone contracts... or gym memberships... I just can't commit. Sorry. Maybe that makes me a flake, or a pansy, or what have you, but at least I own up to it. Trying to commit to anything is like one big giant panic attack. Meanwhile the rest of the world has no problem saying yes to another person for time and all eternity. And while that is beautiful and so righteous, the thought of eternity with someone kind of makes me claustrophobic. What if he drove me crazy? What if he was mean? What if he snored? That wouldn't fly. So there you are dear readers. An insight into my soul. Judge if you must. I laid it all out on the line. Thank you, and goodnight. 

5 comments:

will said...

Gentlemen Prefer Blonds !!!!!!!!

Emmilie said...

Good thing I'm not a blonde then, huh?

Emmilie said...

And it's from Some Like it Hot...

Shaun Mayo said...

I believe in you Emm. If I can do it anybody can. You said so yourself I had a new girl every 2 weeks. Now look at me, engaged... gross.

will said...

I am not blonde either.....the one guy played a fake blonde right......ya gotta deal with that....that just happened....whew