Sunday, September 6, 2009

Oxygen is Overrated

Do you want to hear a funny story? Well it goes a little something like this. Once upon a time I came to Provo to visit my dear friend, Mary Christine Rose Petals Topanga Carlisle. It was a splendid little visit. On one of our activities, we decided to climb the "Y." This is a nice little hike that is only about a mile and a half, but is straight up. Oh, and it's on a mountain, just in case you missed that. Well guess what dear readers, Emmilie has been living at sea level for the past 9 months... So the altitude was slightly different. Slightly a lot different. But it's fine. At 7:49 in the morning that lovely Saturday, Mary and I woke up, and after much internal struggle, and talking into by Shauna, we head out the door to meet the rest of our peeps. I should have known that I was in for a treat when I became short of breath on the DRIVE up the mountain. But after a few deep breaths, I filled my lungs, and climbed out of the car ready to conquer the "Y." Mary and I gave a little disclaimer that I was not used to the elevation, and after promises of much patience, and even more breaks, we embarked on our journey. After the first little hill I was already panting like I had just run a mile. But after feeling more determined, and drinking some water, I kept on hiking. Such a trooper. However, after the next couple of switchbacks, I was starting to get even more light headed, and was worrying about finishing. After a few more breaks, and trying to get everyone to go on ahead with promises of catching up, I still found myself climbing that mountain with our hiking buddies. What good people. But finally, my chest started making funny/disturbing noises. Kind like wheezing; a lot like wheezing. I barely made it to the 6th switchback when I started to blackout. Mary put her own water bottle in my hands, and I literally stumbled my way to a rock, and plopped down gasping for breath. Sounds pretty intense huh? It was. However the most aggravating part was that I knew I was fully capable of making the wretched 1.5 mile climb! My body wasn't tired, I just couldn't get enough oxygen. I personally think it's overrated; however my lungs do not. I couldn't breathe, and therefore only made it half way. I failed, and not gonna lie- it pissed me off all day long. But it's fine. I just felt like a square. Mary was kind enough to stay with me for the rest of the time. Um... we may or may not have made an awkward moment or two for Shauna and Scott, making it look like a planned Ninja date. My bad, Scott. My bad. But all was well in the end, and Shauna and Scott met back up with us, and we made our way down the mountain, each trying desperately not to face-plant it. So the moral of this story is to acclimate to your climate before you go hiking in it. Thank you, and goodnight. 

4 comments:

Shaun Mayo said...

hahahahahaha I had the same problem (minus the embarrassment) when i got home from Portland.

Jared said...

hahahahahaha sorry i had to follow suit on this one. but i'm surprised that you copped out...i'm a little bit disappointed lil' missy. (shakes head) anyways good story though.

will said...

coming from the AZ to here I felt like an Oxy junkie....now I think I am again a slug......look out for salt for a couple weeks Em then go give the "Y" a kick

Hannah said...

That is SO FUNNY!!! I haven't had altitude sickness before but I hear that it is awful. So, I pray that you make it up the Y sometime and I pray that the same thing never happens to me! hahahaha