Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pockets

I am convinced that our minds have pockets. Not just pockets, but pockets stuffed to capacity with memories that get pulled out every so often to amuse us, remind us, teach us, mock us, and even hurt us. Pockets that are brimming with memories, many of which will never come back to us. Yet on occasions, our subconscious likes to run amok in these pockets and remind us of things that we haven't thought of literally in years. Those are always interesting moments of reflection and often times wonder at how much has changed. Today I was digging around in my dating pocket, and I remembered some of the nonsensical moments of my high school career. I remembered ridiculous texting fights that I had with a silly immature boy, and the heartache that came when he broke my heart. Then I remembered how long it took me to get over said nonsense, and how distraught I was about the whole affair. That was silly. Very silly. Yet that particular pocket taught me how much I have learned and grown. (Thank goodness!) 

Then I started digging around in the pocket labeled, "My Junior Year." The year in which things in my life changed a great deal. That was the year of the divorce. That was the year that I started to grow up. And even now, I am still learning things from "My Junior Year." Then I remembered the events that made up the week before I moved to Orlando and how much I have grown from all that. Then it occurred to me that all of these pockets house the different moments of our lives that seem to define us; mold us; shape us; create us. 

But then it dawned on me that even though the pocket labeled "Awkwardness" seems positively bursting there will still be more than enough room for a plethora of memories to be added. Or the pocket called "Heartache" that on rare occasions feels quite full, will be stretched quite easily. And that lovely little pocket called "Joy" will thankfully, constantly be filling as well. So here's to all those memories that continue to teach, mold, mock, enlighten, inspire, and remind us of this beautiful thing called life. Thank you, and goodnight. 

No comments: