Monday, April 20, 2009

Phenomenon

Okay, so do you know the phenomenon that continues to boggle my mind? The phenomenon called roommates. Apparently our society decided sometime probably in the 60's that it was considered acceptable to round up four random strangers and stick them in the same apartment. It's almost like one of those weird psychology experiments. Now I don't mean that I have ever experienced sadism, thank you Stanford Prison Experiment, but it's still kind of weird if you think about it, right? I was thinking about that the other day because guess what? I moved and that equals new roommates. The incredulity to this whole phenomenon hit me hard yesterday when I started showering in the bathroom next to my room while this stranger was in my bedroom just chillin'. Isn't that a little creepy? I had never met her. I just knew her name because I saw it on her luggage. I had never spoken to her, and she had no idea who the crap I was. And I thought it was a little weird. But we trust them enough to do things like personal hygiene with these strangers in the next room over and not worry about a re-enactment of the shower scene from Psycho. Who came up with this? Who said this was alright? I'm not okay with this. I think there should be a screening process. Or maybe even a background check with fingerprinting. 

Now I am not ranting about this because I have been place with homicidal roommates. Oh no, they are very sweet and I think it's going to be awesome. However, I still think that the whole concept is a little...erratic. You never know who you are going to end up with. And it's enough to cause an ulcer. Luckily in the past, it has turned out pretty much awesome, and I have some pretty cool compadres to show from the phenomenon, but there is still that looming threat of an ulcer. So stop stressing me out, and give me my own studio apartment. Thank you, and goodnight. 

5 comments:

Jared said...

interesting...she wasn't like in the bathroom while you were showering though right? cause that would make it super creepy. i thought this time around you got to choose your roommates...? maybe not, anyways good luck with that.

Kinsey said...

I hope you didn't think that about me when we first met...

Emmilie said...

Not at all my love. I thought you were the definition of awesome. And I looked it up... answer=yes. You are awesome.

jennifer said...

we're you scared of me emmilie? I mean....I am kind of terrifying!

Emmilie said...

Are you kidding? I loved you! I was afraid that I scared you because I gave you a hug, not knowing that you were a non-touchy-feely person. It's fine. I'm secretly the psycho I blog about. Okay... so not really.