Saturday, April 18, 2009

Capacity for Goodness

I am convinced that all people have an innate  capacity for good programed into their inner-workings. I think God made us that way. I am convinced that each one of us has the divine capability to do a certain amount of good. Perhaps some of us have a greater capacity for goodness than others, but I'm convinced that it is still there. I also fully believe that some of us manifest our given capacities in different ways. Some save whales; some recycle; some are philanthropists; some are mothers; some are leaders; some are followers; some share the truth; some tell the truth; some write; some plant flowers; some laugh; some are painters; some are teachers; some build buildings; some run for President; some mow lawns. However it is we manifest it, it does not change the fact the we as humans possess the ability to be good. And  each day, I am happily surprised by the amount of goodness I find within people. It's everywhere, and when you stop and notice, it's amazing what you find. People are genuinely good. I believe that. Perhaps you think I'm naive. And perhaps you might be right. But as I look around more and more, I find that goodness is everywhere. True, it's nothing grand or miraculous, but it's still there. Look for that man who gives up his seat on the bus to a woman who is standing. Look for that little boy who helps his sister when she trips on her shoelace. Look for that leader who chooses what is right over what is easy. Look for that neighbor who brings your newspaper to your door when he stops in. Look for that girl at school who says "Thank you," to the lonely lunch lady every day. Look at yourself, and see all the good things you do every day. People are good. Thank you, and goodnight. 

1 comment:

Polly Scott said...

Emmilie...I love this perspective...we all need to look for the good. I recently started reading the New Testament again to be inspired and reminded off all the good that was given to us as an example. If we all looked for the good...we would all find more happiness. I love you!