Thursday, July 30, 2009

Warped Tour!!

Right, so this year for my birthday I treated myself to Warped Tour. I have never been, and after a series of events last year, I promised myself that I would go. And guess what folks? I went! It was awesome!! But kind of scary at the same time. This is not the style of music I normally listen to. I'm more of the Coldplay, Fray, and John Mayer kind of girl. Not the screamo-die-in-a-mosh-pit kind of gal. But that's okay; to each their own. 

I went with some peeps from the ward- Doug Foxford, Lexi and Ashley. It was so fun. Bless them. We got there around 10:30 and had to chill until they opened the gates. The first thing I noticed was how many cringey people there were... not to be a jerk, but holy cow. It was kind of sketch. I have never seen so many people trippin' on acid before in my life. Crazy. There was cigarette smoke everywhere, and I got to teach Doug what pot smells like. That was cute. But despite all of the drugs, it was great. 

The first band we saw was Breathe Carolina. They were so fun to watch perform. I decided that I would probably never listen to them in real life, but seeing them perform was a blast. They did a cover of Miley Cyrus's "See You Again," and it was the bomb.com/I laughed out loud. It was crazy, because they all looked like they were on something. But whatev- it made them perform better. After thier set Doug and I went over to meet them. That was sweet. The lead singer, Kyle was so chill. He was awesome. But my favorite part of this whole little scene was not Kyle Evans, and his story about how they got started, but the guy in the background. What a stud. Let's call him Rick. Now Rick looked like he was having a rough morning. He came up to me while I was talking with Kyle, looked at his hands which were shaking, and looked at me. He looked like he was having a conniption. Rick was very pale, and I'm pretty sure he was stoned out of his head. Then without warning, Rick stumbles over the the back corner of the tent and wretches. It was so foul, and yet no one paid any attention, as if this sort of thing happened every day. Then Rick chugged a Monster, and I found myself thinking about how grateful I am for the word of wisdom. Good old Rick. 

Then Doug convinced me to head over to Attack! Attack! I agreed, figuring hey! I'll try something new. This ladies and gentlemen is not always the best attitude to have while going to Warped Tour ignorant. I had never heard of Attack! Attack! nor did I have any idea what kind of music they played. Answer=screamo. Gross. But whatev, I thought to myself. What's the worst that could happen. Answer=mosh pit. Mosh pit that I was stuck in the middle of. I won't lie, that was one of the scariest moments of my life. Without warning, the band came on stage, and everyone around me started pushing everyone in sight, and hitting and rubbing up against each other, and throwing people! It was horrific!! I had at least two fools fall on me! I don't know where they came from, but suddenly they were falling towards me. That was stressful. I was getting punched in the face, and was freaking out because we hadn't even hit the most exciting part of the song yet- it was still the intro. I didn't know how I was going to get out alive. I looked around at all the other girls around me, and they all had the same similar look of impending doom written upon their faces. Suddenly Doug had pushed his way to my side, (literally) and asked if I wanted out. "YES!!!" I almost sobbed. He pushed his way of of the pit with me next to him. I felt like a square, so I tried to look really sick or something. The truth was I am just a pansy/I hate moshing. It's totally fine. Don't judge. 

After this little attack attack, I needed a breather. While Doug was getting his Mosh on, I walked around the various stands just chilling. It was, well, chill. And I loved it. I caught All Time Low, and that was great. The fool with his shirt off was highly attractive. Luckily I had learned my lesson with Attack! Attack! and stayed towards the back. I saw plenty of crowd surfing and moshing going on ahead. So I stayed in the back; the safe back. Then, when I went to go meet up with Doug again, I happened into another little adventure. I was crossing a bridge when this girl lurking in the corner yells at me, "Hey! You're really hot. Do you want a kiss?" "No!!" I responded, rather disgustedly. To this she swore at me and called me prissy. I walked away replaying everything that had just happened. Then I laughed out loud. Yes, my awkward sweater was on, and I found Doug and told him everything that had just happened. He looked slightly ill, and I just kept laughing. That happened. 

Oh it was a great day. And after seeing a few more bands, rocking out to more Miley covers and watching some fools passing a joint back and forth during Scary Kids Scaring Kids, I realized that though this was a blast, I would probably never go again. This music really isn't my style, but it was still the shiz. It was so sweet. Won't lie. I heart Warped Tour '09. Oh, and I also heart the Gospel of Jesus Christ, because I will never be drunk, or high, or hungover, or hit on a girl. It's fine. 


Lexi, Ashley, Me and Doug. Hard core. 


Me and Kyle Evans from Breathe Carolina. Rick is right behind us, probably convulsing in the corner. 



Loved Warped Tour. Less Than Jake was jammin' in the corner. It's fine. 

There was kind of a few people there. Most of whom were highly cringy. It's fine. 

Thank you, and goodnight. 

No comments: