Saturday, July 4, 2009

Stoplights

Sometimes I feel like my life is like that light on the corner of Orchard and Elm. It's the kind of light that seems to take an exceptionally long time to change. I'm always sitting there thinking of all the things that I still have to do; all the places that I still have to see; all the people that I still have to meet; all the experiences that I have yet to enjoy. I sit at that light; that's where I do all of my pondering of the universe. That is where I remember all the people who have touched my life. That is where I remember all the ways I have changed. That is where I remember all of those missed opportunities. That is where I play the introspection game. That is where I truly think about who is important to me. That is where I remember all of those things that I should have done. That is where I remember all the times I dropped that wretched ball. That is where I make goals to do better. That is where I remember that one time, and laugh out loud. That is where I make all of my decisions. That is where I remember all the things that "Oh crap! I totally forgot to do!" That is where I remember all the times when I wish things would have turned out differently. That is where I realize that I'm so glad everything happened the way it did. That is where I see God's hand in my life. That is where I know that he has a plan for me. But as I sit at that light, and I have these deep and penetrating thoughts about my current state, that light goes to green. Change happens. And never when you are expecting it. So that light on the corner of Orchard and Elm taught me a thing or two. You have to let it happen. You can't waste a minute. Take life at face-value. Enjoy the awkward. Enjoy the wonderful. Enjoy the pain. Enjoy the growth. Enjoy the moment, and the memories. Because chances are, change is on your horizon. Thank you, and goodnight. 

No comments: