Friday, January 23, 2009

So That Happened

Okay, so I have most definitely been blessed with many missionary moments while living here in Orlando. But today was an interesting one. It just made me think a little bit; and it goes like this: I was on the bus today in my old lady Coral Reef costume. Part of that costume is my name tag that has my school on it. I was talking to this girl and this guy. They were new, and I was trying to show them the ropes, and sound cooler than I was. (Kind of like your first week in the MTC, right Shaun?) Anyways, they asked where I was from, and had the common look of shock and suspicion when I told them when I was from Utah. (Is she one of those Mormons?!) Answer=yes! Then they read my name tag, realizing that I also attended that BYU place, put the two of them together, and blurted out, "Wait! Are you a Mormon?!" Every person within ear shot turned to look at me.  Including this guy who was sitting with his back to me who tried to subtly and cooly pull of a 180 degree turn to get a better peak at me. Nice move, Sparky. Smiling, and laughing a little bit at life in general, I responded that, yes, indeed I am a Mormon. The whole concept of "people watch you," hit me harder than ever before. I tried to be really happy and nice. Bracing myself for the string of questions I knew would follow, with a quick prayer asking to have the words that needed to be said, the conversations quickly turned to the Word of Wisdom. "So, you can't drink caffeine in public?" Okay, that was weird. I told her that some people in our religion choose not to as a personal choice. I personally drink diet coke all the time, but it's not bad. I mean, it's not the best drink for you, but I'm not going to hell or anything. (Don't worry, I didn't use that exact phrase.) Then the guy asked me a question that actually caught me off guard. And it goes like this: "Wait, what is a Mormon?" I didn't even know how to answer his question. I told him that it was my religion, and that "Mormon" is what we are called. He told me he knew all of this, but still wanted to know what it was. I decided to touch on the Word of Wisdom because that was the most recent topic. He thought it was interesting, and then asked me if they had any bars at Epcot. Naturally, I told him I didn't actually know. But I just kept thinking about his question. I know very well what a Mormon is. But how do you begin to explain that to someone on a crowded bus, when you only have about three minutes? How do you not scare them, or make them think you are insane? How do you impress upon them your love for them, and for this religion that you believe in with your whole heart and soul? How do you tell them of our Heavenly Father, and his plan for each of us? How do you tell them of the standards you try to live daily? How do you make them understand how happy it makes you every day? How do you do all of that? I was upset that I could not have offered a better answer, but grateful for the experience. Now I can be prepared! I'm so grateful to God for his love, and for allowing us to be able to grow in such unique ways. How I love being a Mormon! Thank you, and goodnight. 

1 comment:

will said...

Just like that......you are eloquent, thoughtful, and beautiful Em.....I bet your Heavenly Father digs you....who knows how many lives you can help/change....