Saturday, January 17, 2009

Find a Happy Place!!

Okay, so today work was...good. Yes, after a short mental check of everything that happened, I would say that it turned out to be a good day. It just had a lovely little smattering of crap. But hey, welcome to the Restaurant industry, where people like to yell their hunger away. Because if you yell at us, it will get better! 

It started off as a normal day at the Disney Company. My bus for Epcot got there a little early so I decided to "chillax" (think about it) for like a half an hour. It was pretty sweet. I got some grandma pants that are actually long enough. Hoorah. And I almost bought some sweet Disney pins, and clothes, and pictures, and whatnot at the employee store. But then I remembered that I have literally been living off of rice, cereal and pancakes, and should probably buy real food instead. It's fine. Then I just decided to get to work a little early. Always workin' hard! So I clock in, wash my hands, (SafeD begins with Me!) And head to the front desk- where I live when I am not in my ghetto apartment. Within five minutes, some crazy lady with a baby bottle flags me down. She looks kind of scary, so I just smile. She asks me if I could get her some milk. I tell her that I am not sure, (I'm knew!) but I can get her some hot water... This is a pretty simple statement, yet I have never seen such simplicity make someone turn so ballistic in my life. She started screaming at me, telling me that this was ridiculous, she was really angry now, she wanted milk, and she wanted to talk to a manager. I apologized (it was too late...) and explained how it was my first week, but I would get her the answer. Her response was, "I don't care!!!! I want some milk!" Okay........... so laughing/slightly freaking out, I go and try to find a manager. Then I ran away from the scary lady. It was highly exciting. And I really hope, for the sake of every child in that restaurant, that that woman got her milk. Nothing like a bloody fight scene in the lobby to make a child feel magical and special! 

And I'm pretty sure there was something in the air, because people were freaking out. I had at least five people yell at me. It was awesome! (Sarcasm button: ON) Luckily I have learned this trick called, don't take it personally. It works like a charm. But it's still annoying. So at times like this, I go to my happy places. Places like that time that I had lunch with two of my friends, and this really awkward guy came to eat with us, and I laughed so hard I cried. I heart that story, and I heart that day. Or any memory at all about this kid from high school. His name was Jacob, and he said the funniest things ever. I especially loved when he would adamantly tell you that he was not a Canadian. Oh, happiness. Or pretty much any awkward/funny story from my life. Or that time that Kristen and I saw those guys hanging out of their car, and rubbing it with squeegees. That was great too. Or any Coldplay song. Or anything that Kinsey says. Or that one time that Mary and I laughed really hard. Or Sheldon and Bruce the Stallion. These are all examples of happy places. Find one. They are kind of like moving buddies. If you don't have one, get one. (Hey- I work for Disney, what to do you expect??) Thank you, and goodnight. 

3 comments:

Staci said...

I must say as a Restraunt Yeller myself.. you do get more accomplished if you get the manager and make everyone stand on their toes..I worked in a restraunt for 7 years and I learned from the very best about how to get what you want from anyone on the staff!
So do you 'get' to work in the restraunt the whole time you are there or do you get to move eventially to something else?
Hang in there.. and e-mail me your mailing address.. stacipacker@earthlink.net

will said...

Tux says her whole life is a happy spot......

marneyd said...

To paraphrase Dr. Seuss, "Oh the stories you'll have..." If nothing else, your stories are rivetingly entertaining. Don't take it personally, good plan...you're so smart. I love you.