Friday, January 23, 2009

An Accent of Awkward

Okay, so there was this one time that I went to Epcot. And it was jolly good fun, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Indeed. I went with my peeps Shaun, Jordan, and Courtney. It was the best. Gradually, some of us had to leave for work, and Jordan and I were the only ones left. And after quite and exhausting day of walking around the world, dinner at a sit-down restaurant was looking mighty fine. Mighty fine indeed. So we pop over to Canada in hopes that they may somehow, someway have availability for two. Now, the important thing to note about this entire story is that we were in Epcot all day long. A day that was full of culture, and food and random accents. Now, these random accents had been going on since we got on the freakin' bus that morning. So it was clearly a problem for which there was no remedy. Amen. So keeping that in mind, come back with me to Canada. Before going into the restaurant I triple-dog-dared Jordan to speak in an accent. (You can't refuse that one...) And luckily he was awesome, and did not chicken out. He did indeed speak in a British accent, and naturally, I had to too. And amazingly enough, we were able to keep a straightish face the entire time. But it was close a couple of times... It's fine. Sadly, there was no openings in Canada, but the Rose and Crown Pub in Britain had an opening. So we made our way over to the UK. Now, this had the potential of being slightly awkward. Because if the people that work in the UK, who are all from England heard us speaking in those silly accents, that would be bad. (Good thing I'm not awkward, right?) So we are sat, and our server named Nathan from Wales is chatting with us. He found out that we were cast members, and was asking about that. And that's when it happened. He asked me some inconsequential question, and I answered in a British accent. I wanted to crawl under the table. Instead I laughed really hard, and it was much better. The worst part was that Nathan from Wales caught it, and told me quite seriously, "And if you say anything else in a British accent, I'll slap you in the face..." It was awesome. So gradually I ended up saying less and less every time Nathan from Wales came round. It was awkward, but was a perfect end to the day. And I laughed. Thank you, and goodnight. 

1 comment:

Staci said...

That is very funny.. I find myself gravitating toward peoples accents while I talk to them.. It is really funny.. I love Epcot.. enjoy it for me!