Sunday, January 18, 2009

Multiply and Replenish

Okay, so it's becoming common knowledge around the Coral Reef that our newest addition, the CP, Emmilie is a Mormon. (What?! No horns?!?!?) And it's really fun for me, the newest addition, to watch the gears turn as they learn more about me. It's pretty sweet. Here is a nice little example for you, dear readers. 

"So, Emmilie, where are you from?"
"Oh, I'm from Utah."
"Utah, wow. That's...great! And do you go to school in Utah, then?"
"No, actually I go to BYU-Idaho. I love it!"
"Oh, okay. (Insert awkward pause here) So, how old are you then?"
"20."
"Oh, so no drinking in public then, eh?"
"Oh, no, I don't drink."
"Ever?!"
"Nope! Never." 
"Oh...well...good for you."
"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No, but it's really okay." 
"Huh... okay." 

And that's about where the incredulity begins to take over, and they look at me over the rims of their glasses, or out of the corner of their eyes when they think that I am not looking. I just laugh a little bit, and think about a blog title for yet another addition to my awkward life. But I was playing the latest version of this conversation in my head today as I was doing yet another glorious menu run. And I remembered the part where a fellow co-worker flat out asked me if I was a Mormon. I assured him that I indeed was. Another co-worker commented on the fact that I must be Mormon because I don't drink and I don't have a boyfriend. The drinking thing I understand, but the boyfriend thing? What?! I laughed a little bit. The phrase "Multiply and replenish the earth," rang in my mind, naturally hinting that a boyfriend would be crucial in that little commandment. I could have gotten into eternal marriage, but baby steps, right? It's fine. 

But then I thought again. Does this mean that even non-members think I am a menace to LDS culture because I am in fact single. (Which by the way, I have never been more okay with in my life, thank you very much) What the St. Francis?!?! I thought I escaped this little character flaw when I left BYU-I-do-Idaho... alas. The curse follows me everywhere. I just thought it was pretty funny/awkward/typical Emmilie Buchanan. I must confess that I find this whole experience to be completely fascinating. Thank you, and goodnight. 

3 comments:

Mary Bates said...

Surprisingly there is a huge difference between BYU and BYU Ido in that fact. You can talk to people here and not be afraid that they are going to ask you out and want to marry you in three weeks. Also, I dare you to ask someone if the want to feel your horns, and then when they reach for your head, pretend to be a dog with rabies. :)

will said...

I understand that the boyfriend/girlfriend status for Mormons is very short as courtships are notoriously short.......go figure....I was engaged for all of four months.....the ordeal the ordeal

Staci said...

Hang in there.. It is fun to live outside for Mormon culture and figure out what people think mormons are.. at Christmas time my neighbor said "I know you are mormon, so do you celebrate Hanakaha then?" Clearly I don't celeberate it.. I can't even spell it! Enjoy Disney.. and just laugh at the rest!