Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Existential Emmilie

I am a Psych minor. And as a psych minor, one must take psychology classes. Obviously. This semester, I am taking PSYCH 341- Theories of Personality. It is my favorite class, and as such is absolutely amazing. We learn about 18 different theorists, and their contributions to the field of psychology. I find this kind of crap absolutely fascinating. I know, total nerd. It's fine. For the past two classes, we have been talking about Abraham Maslow. Now, Maslow was an Existentialist. He was pretty cool, not gonna lie. And I must also admit that I love his theory. His hierarchy of needs makes a lot of sense to me. That's all.

So Monday was our discussion on Existentialism. Then the class actually read the chapter. So today I get into class, and am trying to study just a bit more for the test. Then, randomly this guy moves all of his stuff into the middle of the room. (We sit in a circle so we can discuss... very important.) He makes it this big show, plops down on his chair, and tries to hide the little smirk that screams, "Yeah, I'm basically the most awesome existentialist ever." I just stared at the kid in amazement. He then proceeds to look around at the class to see if he has made his point yet. He doesn't think so, so he throws his book into his bag, and pulls out a piece of blank white paper. He then asks a girl if she has crayons. For real life. She gives him what one can only call a look of incredulity. I don't blame her. I would have done the same if another fellow college student asked me if I happened to have crayons with me. She responds that she does not; naturally. The guys looks surprised and upset, but nothing can squander his newly found existential attitude. He then begins to draw little flowers on his paper. He continues this for the remainder of the class. I was laughing so hard. It was one of the funniest things ever. Not because he was a particularly funny person, but because of how serious he was in his "self-actualizing."

Our professor comes in after a few minutes of flower drawing, and stops dead in the doorway with an all too knowing grin on his face. He mutters something about "non-conformists, and no doubt self-actualization, and then sits down at a desk. It was interesting to watch the interaction between the two of them. The entire time, the guy was looking way to pleased with himself. It was great.

We then began our discussion, and I kept watching the kid. He is a very opinionated person, and every discussion he always has plenty to say. A truly self-actualized person would not conform and would not participate in the conversation. He would just continue to draw his little flowers. But the temptation was to much- he offered his little two-sense in now and again. Secretly, I wanted nothing more than to call him out on it. But it just seemed existential to keep quiet and just let it all happen.

So the time came for us to take our test. Every test turns into a group test, because we use our psychoanalysis skills to explain why it would be better for us either consciously or unconsiously(depending on the theorist) for our overall mental health. It always works, and it's awesome. Amen. So today was interesting. In the spirit of true existentialism, the entire class wrote 20/20 on the top of the paper and turned them in. No questions were answered, and the tests didn't even make it around the whole room before half the class had left. It was pretty much amazing. In the back of my mind, (in my Super Ego) I am worried that I will probably end up with a 0/20 on my final grade. But hey! We, the hippies of BYU-I made our point, and maintained a certain level of existentialism. Thank you, and goodnight.

No comments: