Wednesday, January 20, 2010

True Love

So, my heart officially belongs to Northern California. It is breathtaking, glorious, and for the moment, home. There are many reasons to love such a beautiful place, and one of them is called winter. The winters in Northern California are divine. Not a hint of snow, pretty sure ever. Since arriving here in mid-December, we have had mostly sunshine, and mid 50-60 degree weather with an occasional breeze. Lovely. Now, these past few days have been what you would call a "typical" Humboldt County winter. Rain, and lots of it. Indeed, there are very few moments of dryness. It's allowed me to embrace my inner Northern Californian, and today I went to the store in yellow rain boots, a Carhartt vest, and my trusty green Flight of the Conchords hat. I felt legit, too legit in fact, and was overwhelmed by the need to admit my becoming a byproduct of Humboldt County.

I heart Ferndale. And here's why: today when I was driving through town, the blessed sun came out for just a few minutes before the torrential downpours began again. "Life in Technicolor," one of my personal favorites by Coldplay was blasting, the sun was shining through my window, the mist was settling in the trees, and I was able to fully acknowledge the beauty of where I live yet again. How blessed we are that God is an artist as well as our creator. How blessed I am to live in a place that speaks to my soul. I love the Redwoods. I love the mist that hovers serenely over the wet asphalt, the color of the trees as the sun sets. I love the smell and sound of the ocean as it crashes into the coast. I love the drive to Centerville Beach, my Somewhere Only We Know place. Yes, my heart belongs to Northern California. I shall miss it. Thank you, and goodnight.

4 comments:

Heidi Michelle said...

So eloquent and serene your writing is! You paint a lovely picture in my mind! I should visit this Ferndale place some day! But only if you're there too!

Emmilie said...

Indeed you should!! ROAD TRIP!!! :)

will said...

You truly get it....and here I didn't think you did......it has been said that the mist doesn't set on the trees but that the trees are holding a piece of the sky close to the ground.....

Polly Scott said...

This place captures you and holds you close. When you are away, glimpses will steal into your mind and tease you. When you return, your senses come alive and the beauty envelopes you, singing to your heart that you are home.