Saturday, January 23, 2010

18 Days

18 days. 18 days and counting people. 18 days until I enter the MTC. Oh, snap. 15 days until I fly to Salt Lake. Um, what? Yes. It's really happening. It's a very surreal feeling. The sisters asked me the other day what I thought about all of it. This was my answer. "Surreal. Very surreal. And I still haven't come to grips with the fact that I'm going to Montana." Truth.

I used to be a large advocate for knowing exactly what is going to happen next. Then one day I found myself telling someone, "It's kind of fun not knowing what's going to happen." The truthfulness of what I was saying hit me, and I embraced the fact that my future is something that is discovered in the experience of it. Isn't it better that way? We are constantly counseled to find joy in the journey. There is so much truth to that statement. Finished are the days of postponing my happiness. I decided a long time ago that I would not wait to be thinner to be happy. I would not wait until I was somebody's girlfriend to be happy. I would not wait until I was smarter, or prettier, or more athletic, or more popular. Indeed, I decided that it was pointless to wait to enjoy the life I have been blessed with. Instead I embraced the present. Now, moments of fear still come. The future is scary, but the knowledge that my Father has a plan for me is enough to get me though. Indeed, it is kind of fun not knowing what's in store. So I'll love whatever may come. I'll find joy in the journey. In 18 days I'll begin the next chapter of my life. I'll welcome the future with faith. Thank you, and goodnight.

1 comment:

will said...

You teach me Em....