Friday, January 15, 2010

Grown Up

I've decided that some things in life make you feel grown up. I would imagine that getting married and having kids definitely falls into that category. Serving a mission is something that makes me feel really old. I feel as if I have achieved the status of a "grown up." I am unsure of my feelings towards this new label. It hit me the other day when I was trying on some of my new missionary get-up, and looking oh so much like a sister missionary. It hit me when I bought practical shoes. It hit me when I was running errands the other day. It hit me when I was buying clothes in preparation for the temple. It's hitting me now as I'm getting ready to drive to Medford. I'm growing up. Life is changing. Life is progressing. I'm stepping into that realm of adulthood whether I want to or not. It's scary, but in a much larger way, it is beautiful.

Though far from perfect, my life is in a place where I would want it to be at the age of 21. I have experienced many things in my life. I have had many opportunities and circumstances from which to learn. I have observed much; loved much; grown much; laughed much. And it's not over- not even close. I have so much ahead of me. I feel good with where I am now. These past few days have been ones of deep introspection and contemplation. I have had many realizations for good and for bad. Yet each realization has helped with my progression. So often I have relied on my Savior. I have relied on my Lord to get me through; to guide me to where I am today. I love this scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants: "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, blessed art thou for what thou hast done; for thou hast inquired of me, and behold as often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit. If it had not been so, thou wouldst not have come to the place where thou art at this time." (D&C 6:14) How blessed we are to have a loving Heavenly Father who will guide us to all places that will be for our benefit and progression. How blessed I am to have a knowledge of this. How God loves his children.

I have been highly blessed of the Lord all of my life. Every blessing, every trial has led me to where I am today. Every lesson learned, every mistake made has shaped me into the person I am becoming. Truly, God's work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of his children. How blessed we are to be sons and daughters of a king. I love God with all of my heart. As long as I have that knowledge, I am ready to enter into that realm of adulthood, that sphere of continual progression, and return home. Thank you, and goodnight.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow. This post made me think of all the things in my life that have made me feel grown up. And then I start thinking that I want to be six again. You're much braver then me Emmilie.:)

Hannah said...

:) Thanks for your post. I needed to hear that.