Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Stadium Singing

Stadium singing is one of my favorite things in the entire world. Standing under the BYU-I stadium, singing praises to our Heavenly Father makes my heart so happy. This past Sunday was my first Stadium Singing since last December. It had been far too long, so anxiously I left my casa at 9:14 and walked towards the Hart. I got there right on time, and tried to squeeze my way through the crowds. I was standing by myself, trying to find some people to sing with that I knew, but to no avail. That's what happens when you up and leave for 9 months... it's fine. I'm working on it. But don't get too concerned that I was by myself all night long. False. After the first couple of minutes some dude comes up behind me and says, "We're sharing, okay." Not a question, not a request, a statement. We were going to be sharing my hymn book. Rule Number 1, men. Don't tell me what I will or will not be doing. I'll punch you in the face. And although I didn't punch this fool in the face (it was Sunday) I gave him a nasty look, and acted like a jerk to him. Those of you who know me know that rarely do I ever give nasty looks in a serious manner. I'll give them in jest, but never for real. Well this time was legit. I was pissed. So I sang Love One Another, and felt slightly guilty. I decided to be nice and I asked the kid what his name was. "Sebastian." Was the reply, and I don't know why, but this was all too fitting, and I tried hard not to laugh out loud. The first thing that came to mind was "As in Bach?" I desperately wanted to ask this, but knowing that I still had 25 minutes of sharing in front of me, I refrained. But it was close. Then we sang another hymn, and he decided to lay the charm on me. He told me I had a great singing voice. I kind of laughed a bit, replied with a thank you, and told him that he also had a great voice. He didn't say anything, but got an all too knowing look on his face, and nodded pompously. I turned my head away so he wouldn't see the incredulity all across my face. What a square. Then we played the dreaded get to know you game. 

Emmilie: What are you studying?
Sebastian: Bio... That's Biology. 
(I know what Bio means... Thank you for your concern.)
Emmilie: Great...
Sebastian: What about you?
Emmilie: Communications, with an emphasis in Journalism. 
Sebastian: Okay, not bad. 
(I'm so glad to have your approval...)

Then we sang some more hymns, and my heart was softened again. This lead to more of this: 

Emmilie: So where are you from?
Sebastian: Ohio, but I have dual citizenship in Germany... My father is German law...

What?! Who says that? It was at this point luckily we started singing again. Thank goodness because I was dying. It was too perfect that our dear friend Sebastian has dual citizenship in Germany. He totally would. And I did in fact laugh out loud; hopefully he thought I was just really into "For the Beauty of the Earth." Such a great song. All in all, it was an interesting time at Stadium Singing. Thank you, and goodnight. 

3 comments:

Corey Lyn said...

Oh Emmilie.... the more entries I read about you being at BYU Idaho right now, the more I wish I was there right now. :( Sigh. In April...

Unknown said...

in the words of Ya-Ya "L-7 weeeeeniiie. yaya Oscar Meyer even"

Jared said...

i'm pretty sure that as an american once you are over the age of 18 america makes you choose where you are going to have your citizenship...one or the other. not dual...cause that causes a lot of political unrest. so i'm pretty sure that guy is full of crap. just sayin' and yeah what a tool!