Monday, August 22, 2011

Complex

Okay, so I've never been that great at commitment. In fact you could say that many a time, I've shied away from it. Number of real life relationships: 1. Number of kind of relationships: let's not go there. Am I ashamed? heavens no. Do I have a possible complex? eh, you're getting warmer. This fear of commitment doesn't just extend to the realm of dating and courtship; oh no, this covers gym memberships, phone contracts, hey, I get nervous downloading Adobe Flash Player onto my computer. Going on a mission almost killed me, but it was way less stressful than eternal marriage. 18 months, or the rest of eternity? So I went on a mission. Now, coming home, there are a lot of things looming ahead that require a great deal of commitment. I'm taking them one day at a time. I've been on a date and have a few more coming up. I'm registered for school, and will be attending in the Fall. Today I did something that has commitment written all over it. I am how the owner of a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. It is beautiful. But as I sat in the muggy office at Mickey's Car Dealership, I felt the perspiration begin to form on my forehead, and not just from the lack of air conditioning. I was signing my life away 37 times on the dotted line, I realized that I was locking myself into the longest relationship I will have ever had. 5 years. Oh dang. I may or may not have freaked out, and contemplated ripping up the contract, and running out of the room. Reason prevailed, and instead I drove off the lot in my very own car. It was worth it. Am I still learning how to drive the stick shift? Why yes. Did I kill it turning onto my road today? Indeed. But did I love love love driving down the 101 as the sun set into the Bay? Absolutley I did. I think I'm going to look good in red. Thank you, and goodnight.

3 comments:

will said...

You do look good in red....you betcha...

Jenica said...

Oh Emmilie, I've missed your posts the past year and a half! I hope that you and your Chevy are very happy together :) you two make a cute couple!

Heidi Michelle said...

Hey my sister has that same car! But hers isn't a stick shift, which is way more fun. Props to you for taking it on the 101! Miss you dear!