Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dirt Bag

So it happened. I re-entered the dating world. And quite frankly, I'm already over it. So here's the story: My second Sunday back I went to the singles ward. I very quickly became very overwhelmed as a certain young man named Tim asked for my number. Oh snap. I was completely out of my element. I'm used to passing my number out the masses on the back of a mormon.org card, while resigning myself to the fact that more likely than not, this potential investigator will not call back. But this is different. A very single man was asking for mine, and had every intention in the world of calling me back. Oh dang, oh dang, oh dang. But, I figured it would be good practice for me to re-enter society with. So I complied.

A week later, via text, I had myself a date set up. The Elders serving in my ward informed me that it was lame to be asked out via text. "You are not a dog, and that is not a whistle!" A rule to live by. Nevertheless, I still had a date for Thursday. It was a nice date. He took me to a Mexican restaurant, we talked about our missions, and I very much enjoyed my Chile Verde burrito. Then, after mentioning that I was in the process of learning how to drive a stick, Tim offered to let me practice with his car. I agreed. We drove tot he church parking lot. That sneaky little boy put the moves on me as he showed me how to shift. He carefully, and meticulously placed his hand on top of mine to show me how to go from first to second gear. Real sly, sir. Real sly. I gave him a look or two, but didn't say anything. Sneaky little devil. I'm not ready for these kinds of games...

He took me back home, and I was trying to think of how I could sneak in a handshake, but he went in for the hug, and it was a nice enough date that I figured I may as well just comply. We had another date set up... but Tim wanted to take things to the next level... like texting me every minute of the day. Kind of weird. Just met ya. And not that into ya. Sorry, Tim. I would respond with one word answers, and sometimes just not respond. I felt like a jerk! But that's what dating does. It turns people into dirt bags. I am such a dirt bag. I kept thinking, "You have to be wondering what I'm thinking, Tim!" It's not like I was really giving him anything to go off of here. Poor guy, he gave it a valiant effort.

Finally, via text (because two can play this game...) I told him that I just wasn't that into him. Pretty sure I felt like a jerk, and pretty sure he was a little bit upset. Sorry, Tim. He ended up canceling our date for tomorrow, and I can't say I blame him. I think it's a little bit better this way. Bless your heart, Tim. One day you'll find a babe that will love everything about you. I'm just not her. Best of luck though. One day, I'll go on a date with some hottie I very much like. See, everything will all work out, Tim. Sure do love ya. (Not in that way. It's fine.) Thank you, and goodnight.

4 comments:

Heidi Michelle said...

It's still just as hilarious second time around!! Ba ha ha, sneaky sneak sneak!

Jenica said...

Hahaha this post is great! At least he had the date planned and didn't yell at his golf ball...Remember my crazy manager story?

Emmilie said...

hahahaha I totally remember that!! Oh good times!

Hannah said...

I forgot how much fun I have reading your blogs! I miss you.