Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Dating Journals

Okay, so for my Dating and Courtship class, I have to keep a dating Journal for extra credit. Well, I need all the help that I can get in that class... so a Dating Journal I kept. (For all two dates that I went on...) I thought it was somewhat entertaining. I thought you might too. So here we go. Let me know what you think.

Dating Journal 1:

I have only been on two dates this semester, and I have to tell you; they have been pretty interesting. The first date I went on was somewhat of a misunderstanding. I was under the strong impression that this boy and I were to be strictly “hanging out.” Nothing more. But alas, Kyle had a date in mind. Had I known that he had been thinking that this was a date, I may have reconsidered. We had had several awkward encounters in the past, which would make dating each other slightly uncomfortable. (And it was…)
Kyle picks me up at my apartment, and we begin to walk back to his apartment to watch a movie. We begin the awkward, cliché, first-date-small-talk. It was awkward, but that was to be expected. Literally within five minutes, he says to me, “Wow, so I have nothing really to say to you anymore.” I sarcastically told him thanks, to which he responded, “Whoa, harsh!!” To which I had nothing more to say than, “You are the one calling me boring!” He readily agreed with this statement, and I knew that the date was off to a roaring start. As we are making the walk up to his house (which seemed to take more of an eternity rather than just a few minutes) he begins to think up some more questions to ask me. Unfortunately, whenever I would respond with my honest answer, he would look at me as if I was a total moron from a completely different planet. Anytime I would say anything he would respond, “What?! Why would you do that?? You are crazy!” And this was not playful banter. He genuinely wanted to know why I was such an idiot for wanting to do something as silly as change my major to psychology. Another topic of interest for Kyle was my name. First of all he thought it was a ridiculous name. I have yet to find the incredulity of the name, Emmilie Rae Buchanan. Then he began to chastise the spelling of my name, reminding me once again how completely moronic it did indeed sound. At this point in the evening, (which was about eight minutes after we left my apartment) I decided that I was no longer going to say anything. I had had enough of feeling horrible about myself. I did not even feel remotely rude for only giving very short, and direct answers to his questions. For when he asked me what my favorite color was, and I responded “red”, I felt like I had reached the maximum humiliation by him telling me I was stupid for liking red. I did begin to wonder if I had in fact reverted back to the third grade, when the school bully makes fun of you for wearing that ugly red sweater. But oh no, this was real life in college.
After this stimulating, and uplifting conversation, we get to his apartment. I’m already wondering how long the wretched movie is so I can escape. Kyle decides to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Which, thankfully is one of my favorite movies. Sadly though, this film is only funny when the audience is able to joke, and laugh and have fun with each other without fear of constant ridicule. And alas, there was an overpowering fear of ridicule on this date. So we begin to watch the movie. It is in fact a comedy, so naturally, I laugh at the parts that I find amusing. Daring to hope, I look over at Kyle to see if he too is laughing. Oh no, he is once again looking at me as if I was an idiot for laughing at a humorous part. He tries to tell me something, presumably how idiotic I am, but thankfully he spares me his precious thoughts and simply shakes his head as if I am a petulant child that needs to be taught a lesson. At this point I decide that the time has come for me to be silent. I chose not even to respond when he told me about how he was so bored and would rather be doing so many other things with other people.
Thinking that my situation could not improve in any way, shape or form, I try to formulate a plan that will allow me to leave after the movie is over. Sickness is the first thing that comes to mind. So I put my hand to my head. As if on cue, Kyle looks over and so politely asks, “What are you sick or something?” I respond that I am indeed very sick, and should probably go home. To my joy, Kyle responds, “Well I guess I’ll just take you back now, because this is really boring.” I agreed. And he took me home. I walked back to my apartment as quickly as I could trying to put an end to this awful night. Unsurprisingly, Kyle starts firing the questions as soon as we start walking. Once again, he tells me how ridiculous I am for liking the music that I do. But like all things, that walk had to come to an end. We reach my apartment building. He doesn’t even walk me to the door, just offers a charming “See ya…” Indeed he will not. I walked inside and began to sob. It was one of the worst dates I had ever been on. But it was over. And the most positive thought that I was able to muster up was that I would be getting extra credit in my Dating and Courtship class.
This is all completely true. Thank you, and good night.

No comments: