Friday, February 5, 2010

Tool in the Pool

Today I checked off the last thing on my California To Do list. Flu Shot. Done and done. However, I've never felt more like a tool doing so. After filling out the dreaded paperwork, the lady at the counter asked me if I would like to make a 7 dollar donation for the flu shot. What? I thought to myself. Why are they asking for donations? With a befuddled look on my face, I declined. The lady looked at my like I was a tool, and proceeded. Now, before I continue, you have to understand that this week has been one of the most stressful of my life. My mind is not working properly, and more than once have I misinterpreted. This was no exception. After getting my shot, and feeling too legit to quit, I headed back up to the counter to pay. They looked highly perplexed that I was back, and asked if I needed more shots. Confused, I told them no. They told me I was all set, and waved me out. I wondered why they didn't ask me to pay. I paid $18.87 for the H1n1 vaccination at Walgreen's. I was thinking I was secretly a ninja, and had found a place where they didn't charge you for shots. "Why didn't they ask me to pay?" I asked. My dad responded with an incredulous, "That's what the 7 dollar donation was for, hun." That's when I felt like a tool in the pool. My dad explained that since it's the Public Health organization, they can't make me pay. What a square. The health care system has successfully bamboozled me. Well played, guys. So I'm going to mail 7 dollars to the Eureka Public Health office from the MTC. It's totally fine. God will punish me. Thank you, and goodnight.

No comments: