Friday, October 12, 2007

Wait Until Dark

I'm the Dramaturg for Wait Until Dark. It's amazing! My first semester here, and I am already involved in a major production. It's so much fun. I am in my element again. It's great. It's a little crazy, because we have put this entire production together in about a month. We open next Wednesday. I'm so excited. Oh, so maybe I should mention what it is that I actually do. I am the Dramaturg. Yes, that is a real term. I do all of the research for the play. Let me give you a run down of what happens.
Actor: I have no idea what this means...Emmilie?!
Emmilie: I'll look it up.
Actor: Yeah, I have no clue. Just let me know what it means.
Emmilie: Ten, Four good buddy!
More or less. It's so much fun; but it really is hard work. The play is set in the late 1960's and things have changed slightly since then. One of the things I got to do was make a map of New York, mainly Greenwich Village. I had to plot out where the apartment, studio, drug store, and police station was. It was pretty cool. A little challenging, but fun. I also made program notes about the original production and the Playwright. I had to go through old Newspaper archives to find reviews from the original run's opening night. It was really interesting. I love doing this stuff. I do wish I could do some acting, but hey- this isn't bad for my fist semester. Not bad at all. I am so excited to open. It is such a scary show, and our leads are amazing!! It creeps me out every time!! Here are some pictures of the show. No, sadly, my ghetto camera did not take them. So sorry to get your hopes up. Anyway-


This is Sam and Suzy Hendrix. She is blind. Very important to know.


Suzy and her little neighbor, Gloria. This little girl has more sass than anyone I've ever met in my life. Holy St. Francis!



The bad guys. Carlino, Mike, and Harry Roat, Jr. They are so creepy. Especially Roat. Those glasses and black coat always creep me out just a tad...



Harry Roat Jr. He is such a talented actor. I love watching him act, he is amazing. He scares me to death every night, but he is great at it!! The last scene is the best.



Suzy, looking particularly scared with a match. This is one of the coolest parts of the show. Everything is completely dark. You can only see the action from the light of the match. Ah! Brilliant!

Roat. I told you he was creepy!!

Yep- That's pretty much what I've been doing for the last month. It's been great. I'll be sad once it's over, but then I can actually start meeting people again!! (That's the only down side...) I'm excited, because we have sold out every show. This will be amazing!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Em,

I am proud of you and sad that we won't be able to see the show. You are amazing and I'm so excited for you!!!